Olympic Medalists & Hollywood Celebrities Hit the Curling Ice June 30-July 2 at the Summer Blockbuster Bonspiel
Charity match pairs up Hollywood stars, best-in-the-world curlers to benefit youth sports
(Valencia, Calif.) May 19, 2017 – Most Southern Californians won’t be spending their Fourth of July weekends on ice. But from June 30 to July 2, the coolest place to be will be Ice Station Valencia, as Hollywood Curling’s annual Summer Blockbuster Bonspiel brings curlers from around the world for a weekend of fun and competition.
The weekend's highlight will be a celebrity match on Saturday, July 1, pairing up Hollywood celebs and some of the world's best curlers, some of whom will be competing at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea. The event is open to the public, and confirmed participants include:
· John Shuster, skip (that's curling for "captain") of the US men's curling team, five-time American champion and three-time Olympian, including a bronze medal-winning performance in 2006. 2018 Olympic hopeful, Team USA.
· Jake Thomas, who starred as the title character’s little brother, Matt, on Lizzie McGuire.
· Christoffer Svae, member of Norway's men's curling team, 2014 world champion, winner of a silver medal at the 2010 Winter Olympics and originator of Team Norway's famous pants. 2018 Olympic hopeful, Team Norway.
· Scott Whyte, best known as the iconic Gunnar Stahl in D2: The Mighty Ducks
· Oskar Eriksson and Christoffer Sundgren, reigning European champions from Sweden, and silver medal winners at this year's world championships. Not only are they the top ranked team in the world, coming off three Grand Slam wins this season, but they were just confirmed as the team selected for the 2018 Winter Olympics.
· Debbie McCormick, 2003 curling world champion and three-time Winter Olympian on the US national women's team
· Daryl Evans, long-time NHL player and current radio color commentator for the LA Kings.
· Mike Harris, winner of a silver medal as skip for the Canadian men's curling team at the 1998 Winter Olympics.
· Becca Hamilton, 2014 women's American national curling champion, 2017 US National Mixed Double Champion. 2018 Olympic hopeful, Team USA.
· Colin Hodgson, winner of two Grand Slam of Curling events in 2016, 2018 Winter Olympic trials qualifier and member of the world's fourth-ranked curling team. 2018 Olympic hopeful, Team Canada.
· More stars being confirmed and added daily
The celebrity game will begin at 8pm at Ice Station Valencia, 27745 Smyth Drive in Santa Clarita. Admission is free, but raffles, a silent auction, merchandise and more will raise funds for School of Rocks, Hollywood Curling’s youth program that brings the sport to local schools. Friendly volunteers will be on hand to answer questions and explain the intricacies of the game. This year's match will also include a $5,000 Draw to the Button contest: Five lucky competitors will have the chance to throw a perfect stone and win $5,000 in cash.
Now in its ninth year, the Summer Blockbuster Bonspiel (curling tournaments are called bonspiels) will feature 32 teams and 128 athletes from as nearby as Los Angeles and as far away as Norway. Matches throughout the tournament will also be open to the public for no charge.
Summer Blockbuster Bonspiel matches will begin at 8 AM each day, with games continuing late into the evening. The opening ceremony will be at 3:15 PM on Friday, June 30. The championship match begins at 11 AM on Sunday, July 2, with trophies and medals given out during the awards ceremony at 1:45 PM. All games will take place at Ice Station Valencia, 27745 Smyth Drive in Valencia.
About Hollywood Curling
Founded in December 2007, Hollywood Curling is one of five curling clubs in California and the only club in Los Angeles County. The club’s goal is to introduce the sport of curling to the local community, to foster the social and competitive spirit of the sport and to teach and develop curlers to compete at the local, national and international levels. In addition to public Learn to Curl events, Hollywood Curling also hosts corporate events, private parties and a youth program called School of Rocks. Hollywood Curling is a volunteer-run, 501(c)3 non-profit organization and is a member in good standing of USA Curling and the Mountain Pacific Curling Association (MoPac). For more information, including event and league schedules, visit hollywoodcurling.org.
About the sport of curling
The popular sport of curling, a game in which 42-pound granite stones are hurled down a 150-foot sheet of ice at a central target while teammates use brushes or brooms to sweep the ice in the path of the stone, has seen a tremendous increase in popularity in the US in the past decade. Owing large in part to the televised coverage during the Winter Olympics in Torino in 2006, Vancouver in 2010 and Sochi in 2014, Americans have been flocking to the sport with intrigue and fascination. The sport has seen explosive expansion in recent years, particularly in the area of arena clubs like Hollywood Curling, which share the ice with hockey players and figure skaters.
Liza Beres, President, Hollywood Curling
p: 818- 850-6692